Short-Term Rentals

Mt. Crested Butte Short-Term Rental Licensing Program

As of September 1, 2021, Town Council updated the Short-Term Rental (STR) Ordinance. If you own or are planning on owning a short-term rental please review Ordinance 10 Series 2021.

The Town has updated the Short Term Rental Guide to advise you on the process and the documents you will need to apply.

As a reminder, when you change your local representative, you have 10 days to notify the Town and provide new contact information. Failure to do so could cause your license to be revoked. Please reach out to when you change your Local Representative. This Local Representative Responsibility & Owner Authorization form will need to be completed and uploaded to your STR license account. A copy of the Local Representative drivers license will need to be provided to verify the person lives within 45 minutes of Mt. Crested Butte. 

If you have any questions regarding short-term rental policies or procedures, please contact Heidi Sheldon, Short-Term Rental Officer at or 970-349-6632, ext. 3.

Apply or Renew

To submit a new Short-Term Rental application: 

Click here for illustrated directions on how to create a new account in Munirevs. 

1) Go to Munirevs website

2) Click "Register Here" and follow the directions to verify your email address and complete your profile.

3) Once you have registered for your account, please email for your Account Number and Activation Code. Please provide the property owner's name, property owner's mailing address, STR property address, and proof of ownership (warranty deed) in the email so the account can be set up. 

4) Once you have received your codes, you will then need to link the property to the account. At the bottom of your business center, there is a link under "No Accounts Found". Click on the link. On the following page, enter your Account Number and Activation Code in the appropriate boxes and push "Lookup". Select your "role" and push "connect".  Then return to the Business Center. 

5) In your Business Center there will be a link to complete your STR license application under "Open Tasks".

6) Complete the application, submit all required paperwork, and pay the license and pillow fee. The Short-Term Rental Officer will review your application and confirm a date and time for the property inspection. Please refer to this STR Guide for details on what is required for new applications. 

Approved licenses are valid for one calendar year, not 12 months from the date issued. A 60-day window is given to complete the application and property inspection. If the application and inspection is not completed within 60 days of when the application is processed, the application will be denied and a new application will need to be submitted. There are no refunds on application fees if denied. 

Please note, there is no appeal process for denial of an application

Failure to have a current and valid STR license issued by the Town of Mt. Crested Butte will result in a violation fine of $1,000 per day. STR licensing is strictly enforced. 

For 2023 Renewal Applications:

Renewal Applications were due to be submitted by Friday 12/2/2022. If you did not submit your renewal application, you will need to submit a New STR license application and complete a new inspection to advertise or short-term rent in 2023. New STR license applications are currently taking eight weeks to process. If you did not submit your renewal application, you must remove all online listings and cease hosting guests starting January 1, 2023. Advertising or renting without a 2023 license on January 1, 2023 will result in being cited in Town Court. Please reach out to the Short-Term Rental Officer, Heidi Sheldon if you did not submit your renewal application by 12/2/2022. 

Due to the high volume or requests, it will take 1-3 weeks for your renewal application to be processed. The short-term rental officer will reach out via email if anything needs to be addressed for the renewal application to be approved. If you log into your account and there is a message in red, saying "pending approval", sit tight, you are in line. All online listings must be updated with the new account/license number. 

STR Complaints

If you have an emergent short-term rental complaint please call Police Dispatch at (970) 641-8200 and you will be connected with an Mt. CB Police Officer.

If you are encountering an issue with a short-term rental guest or property, please call Town Hall at (970) 349-6632 ext. 3, Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm. After hours, please call Police Dispatch at (970) 641-8200 and you will be connected with an Mt. Crested Butte Police Officer.

If you have a non-emergent short-term rental complaint, please either email Town Hall at or call (970) 349-6632, ext. 2, Tiffany O’Connell. Please leave a detailed message including your name, phone number, the property address you are calling about, and your complaint. She will follow up within 48 hours during regular business hours. If you have photographic documentation of the complaint please email her that information.

You can also contact the local representative directly. The local representative contact list is available below. The Local Representative is required to be available 24/7 to address guest-caused issues. 

Short-Term Rental Guests are expected to abide by Mt. CB's Good Neighbor Policy.

If you are going to short-term rent your property on your own and NOT use VRBO or Airbnb or any of its subsidiaries then you will also need an Mt. Crested Butte Sales Tax License. Email Emily Wallick at or call her at (970) 349-6632, ext. 104 if you have questions. 

If you are only going to short-term rent your home through VRBO, or its subsidiaries, or Airbnb you do NOT need a sales tax license. 


STR Documents