In 2002, Mt. Crested Butte voters passed a 4% admissions tax to be collected for any event that starts or finishes within the Town of Mt. Crested Butte’s town limits to be utilized for transportation, marketing, and event sponsorship. Voters ratified modified language of the tax in 2009 to keep the tax from sun-setting and directed “not less than 25 percent of the revenues of such tax to be utilized for transportation, and the remainder of the revenues from such tax to be utilized for marketing and event sponsorship.”
In 2019, to respond to the changing economic landscape of Mt. Crested Butte, concerns of unsustainable tourism, and inconsistent application of Admissions Tax funds, the Mt. Crested Butte Town Council has revised the Admission Tax Grant Application to bring more clarity to the process as well as realign the grant with contemporary values regarding tourism and transportation.
ADMISSIONS TAX GRANT MISSION & PURPOSE
- The primary intent of the grant is to attract new visitors to Mt. Crested Butte with a measurable return on investment to increase sales tax revenue for the town.
- It is the town’s desire to attract new people, as well as encourage repeat visitation and stimulate creativity to develop new events.
- All events and programs must occur within the town limits of Mt. Crested Butte at some point during the event.
- Completion of the application is not a right to funds. The distribution of Admissions Tax grant funds is within the sole discretion of Town Council.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact the Admissions Tax point of contact prior to submitting their application with questions about their application or the process.
- All council decisions are final. There is no appeal process.
ADMISSION TAX GRANT CYCLE
There are two cycles in each year. One is in the spring and one in the fall. Typically the dates fall in March and September of each year.
- Dates TBD
- Dates TBD
If you have questions or concerns about the admissions tax grant process and cycle, please contact Marisa Maudsley, Communications & Marketing Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (970) 349-6632, ext. 112.