A safety closure is in place for a bridge on US Highway 50 located west of Gunnison. Visit the Highway 50 Bridge Closure website for more information.


Police FAQs

What are the parking regulations in the town?

There is no parking on any street in the Town of Mt. Crested Butte. Regulations in public parking areas vary. Please read signs that are posted in each lot before you park and on private property as the property owner has to right to have your car towed. We will tow any vehicle that is blocking emergency or snow removal routes, any vehicle that is parked illegally, or any vehicle that appears abandoned.

What if I get a parking ticket or my vehicle is towed?

If your car is towed
You may contest the tow in the Mt. Crested Butte Municipal Court. Please call the Court Clerk at 970-349-6632 to arrange a court date.

If you receive a parking ticket
You can pay the fine prior to the court date indicated on the ticket by mailing the correct fine amount in the envelope provided to:

Municipal Court Clerk
P.O. Box 5800
Mt. Crested Butte, Colorado 81225

You can also pay online.

You have the right to contest a parking ticket in the Mt. Crested Butte Municipal Court on the date written on your parking ticket. The court is located in town hall at 911 Gothic Road in Mt. Crested Butte. If you fail to pay your parking ticket prior to your court date or fail to appear in court on the date indicated on your ticket, a warrant may be issued for your arrest.

How do I report a crime?

If it is an emergency, please call 911 immediately.

If it is not an emergency, call the Police Department at 970-349-6516.

If no one is at the office, call Gunnison Communications at 970-641-8200.

I need to get fingerprinted. Do you offer this service?

Non-Criminal Fingerprints 

In 2017 the state launched the Colorado Applicant Background Services program (CABS) to increase the number of locations people can obtain civil fingerprints for background checks. In Gunnison County, civil fingerprints are processed by Identogo and appointments can be made either online at uenroll.identogo.com or via phone at 1-844-539-5539.

The live-scan fingerprinting machine is located in the Mentors Building, 101 N. 8th Street Gunnison, CO 81230. Costs vary depending on what type of fingerprints are needed and payment is rendered when an appointment is made via phone or online.

The Police Department will also conduct any fingerprints that need to be printed onto the FD-258 fingerprinting card. Please contact Maddie Thomas, Administrative Assistant with the Police Department, to schedule an appointment to get printed. You will need to bring a State issued ID or Passport with you to the appointment. If you have questions, please send an email to police@mtcbpd.us or call 970-349-6516. 

I received a ticket or summons. What do I need to know?

Determine whether the ticket is a summons or a penalty assessment. If the ticket requires that you appear in court, it is a summons. If you have the option to pay a fine and forego appearance in court, you have received a penalty assessment.

If the ticket is a penalty assessment then you have two options:

  1. You can pay the fine by mailing the correct amount to the address indicated on the ticket. It must be received before the assigned court date in order for you to avoid penalties. If you receive a state or county violation ticket, you can mail the fine within twenty days of receiving the ticket and receive a point reduction. If it is a municipal violation and ticket, you will not receive a point reduction, as the Town of Mt. Crested Butte does not participate in a point reduction program.
  2. You have the right to protest any citation by appearing in court on the date indicated on your citation. For state and county violations, you will need to appear in Gunnison County Court--they can be reached at 970-641-3500. For municipal violations, you will need to appear in the Mt. Crested Butte Municipal Court--they can be reached at 970-349-6632.

If you received a summons, a court appearance is mandatory. You must appear on the date and time in court as specified on your summons. Should you fail to appear for your court date, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

Where can I get a Vehicle Identification Check (VIN Check)?

For VIN inspections, please call 970-349-6516 to make an appointment during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. You will need to bring the vehicle’s title and/or registration as well as the vehicle with you. For VIN inspections outside of business hours please contact Dispatch at 970-641-8200.

For residents who live within the Town of Mt. Crested Butte there will be no charge for VIN inspections. As of February 21, 2023, the Gunnison County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution allowing the Gunnison Sheriff’s Office to charge county residents for VIN inspections. All VIN inspections within the county will need to be paid for ahead of time. VIN inspections will be $10.00 for an Officer to perform a VIN inspection at your residence or any location away from the Sheriff’s Office and $5.00 if the vehicle is brought to the Sheriff’s office. Payment can be made at the Gunnison Sheriff’s Office, 510 W. Bidwell Avenue, by cash, certified check, money order or credit card. Payment can also be taken over the phone via credit card at 970-641-1113. There will be a small transaction fee added if paid via credit card. ***No personal checks will be accepted***

How do I file a statement with the Police?

You can download a statement form, fill it out, and fax, mail, or drop it off at the department or you can stop by the office and fill it out in person.

Do you have a lost and found?

Please call or drop by the office. We keep a list of all items reported lost to us or turned into us as found property. You might also want to contact other neighboring jurisdictions, Crested Butte Mountain Resort Guest Services 970-349-2333, KBUT Radio 970-349-7444, and the Crested Butte Chamber of Commerce 970-349-6438. All of these agencies cooperate to help recover lost items or report found items, and share information with one another.

Do you sell Colorado Search & Rescue Cards?


As of August 1, 2023, the Mt. Crested Butte Police Department is no longer selling CORSAR cards. This year the Backcountry Search and Rescue (BSAR) Program has moved from the Department of Local Affairs to the Department of Natural Resources. Please see the below list of purchasing options for CORSAR cards:

  • Purchase Online - Colorado Parks and Wildlife website at https://www.cpwshop.com
  • Purchase at a location - CORSAR Cards can be purchased at any retailer where hunting and fishing licenses are sold and at any CPW offices or parks around the state.

If you have any questions, you can reach the local Colorado Parks and Wildlife office at (970) 641-7060




Can I obtain a list of registered sex offenders living in the area?

Please stop by the Police Department to request a current list of sex offenders registered within the town limits of Mt. Crested Butte. If you need to request a list from another town, you can contact that department directly or we will be happy to submit your request to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI). You may also request this information online from CBI's website.

CBI also provides an online sex offender posting for sex offenders statewide that falls into four categories: felony arrests, sexually violent predators, failure to registers, and multiple offenders. Due to CBI privacy restrictions, we cannot provide a direct link to this site. However, you can access it through CBI's home page.

You can conduct the following online:

How do I file an automobile accident report?

If you need immediate attention, there are injuries involved, or it is an alcohol-related accident, call 911 to have an officer respond to the scene.

If it is a "cold" accident (it happened a few hours or days prior), you have two options:

  1. You can fill out an accident report online at the Colorado State Patrol site
  2. You can come into the Town of Mt. CB Police Department and fill out an accident form in person
How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

You will need to sign a records request form as well as sign a non-pecuniary gains statement in order to have a request for records processed. You can download the records request form and fax or mail it to the office.

Please note that we impose the following fee schedule for copies of police records:

  • $5 per records search
  • $0.25 per page copied
  • $1 per record for any redaction of information as required by statute
  • $20 per hour shall be charged for time spent in manipulating any records or data in order to comply with your request for inspection or copying of criminal justice records
  • $10 for each copy of a record, or partial record, media types other than paper; i.e., disk, CD-ROM, DVD, tape, etc.

Actual shipping charges will be charged to the requesting party when expedited or certified shipping is requested. The above fees shall be waived for requests of records made by victims and/or witnesses named in the requested record. The record search fee shall be waived if no information is found.

Colorado is an open records state and we comply with all statutes as defined by the Colorado Open Records Law. We cannot release an individual's criminal history. You may obtain a person's Colorado criminal history by contacting the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's online record check service or by calling 303-239-4208.