Short-Term Rentals

Mt. Crested Butte Short-Term Rental Licensing Program

As of September 1, 2021, Town Council updated the Short-Term Rental (STR) Ordinance. If you own or are planning on owning a short-term rental please review Ordinance 10 Series 2021.

The Town has updated the Short Term Rental Guide to advise you on the process and the documents you will need to apply.

As a reminder, when you change your local representative, you have 10 days to notify the Town and provide new contact information. Failure to notify the Town of a change in the local representative could cause your license to be revoked. Complete this Local Representative Responsibility & Owner Authorization form and email it to Include a copy of the local representative’s driver’s license. 

If you have any questions regarding short-term rental policies or procedures, please contact Heidi Sheldon, Short-term Rental Officer at or 970-349-6632, ext. 3.

Apply or Renew

To apply or renew your Short-Term Rental License please click here:

Approved licenses are valid for one calendar year, not 12 months from the date issued. A 60-day window is given to complete the application and property inspection. If the application and inspection is not completed within 60 days of when the application is processed, the application will be denied and a new application will need to be submitted. There are no refunds on application fees if denied. 

Renewal applications will be accepted between September 1st and December 2nd annually. At the time of your renewal, we will double-check all online listings and review paperwork to ensure everything is complete and compliant. The Short-Term Rental Officer will reach out if anything needs to be addressed prior to your application being approved. The renewal process cannot be completed later than December 2. If a STR license is not renewed during the renewal period and the property will continue advertising and short-term renting the following year, a new application and inspection will need to be completed by December 31st. 

Please note, there is no appeal process for denial of an application. 

Failure to have a current and valid STR license issued by the Town of Mt. Crested Butte will result in a violation fine of $1,000 per day. STR licensing is strictly enforced. 

STR Complaints

If you have an emergent short-term rental complaint please call Police dispatch at 970-641-8200 and you will be connected with an Mt. CB Police Officer.

If you are encountering an issue with a short-term rental guest or property, please call Town Hall at 970-349-6632 ext. 3, Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm. After hours, please call Police dispatch at 970-641-8200 and you will be connected with an Mt. Crested Butte Police Officer.

If you have a non-emergent short-term rental complaint, please either email Town Hall at or call 970-349-6632, ext. 2, Tiffany O’Connell. Please leave a detailed message including your name, phone number, the property address you are calling about, and your complaint. She will follow up within 48 hours during normal business hours. If you have photographic documentation of the complaint please email her that information.

You can also contact the local representative directly. The local representative contact list is available below. The Local Representative is required to be available 24/7 to address guest caused issues. 

Short-Term Rental Guests are expected to abide by Mt. CB's Good Neighbor Policy.

If you are going to short term rent your property on your own and NOT use VRBO or Airbnb or any of its subsidiaries then you will also need an Mt. Crested Butte Sales Tax License. Email Emily Wallick at or call her at 970-349-6632, ext. 104 if you have questions. 

If you are only going to short-term rent your home through VRBO, or its subsidiaries, or Airbnb you do NOT need a sales tax license. 


STR Documents