Liquor Licensing

All new liquor licenses, transfers of ownership, renewals, and special events liquor licenses must be approved by both the Town of Mt. Crested Butte and the Colorado Department of Revenue Liquor Enforcement Division. 

If you would like to obtain a liquor license, you can find forms, information, and a copy of the Colorado Liquor and Beer Licensee Handbook by going to the Colorado Department of Revenue Liquor Enforcement website.

The Department of Revenue will not accept applications directly from an applicant. The processing and approval of a liquor license can be a time-consuming and lengthy procedure. Please allow at least two months for processing and approval of a new license or transfer of ownership; and approximately one month for the processing and approval of a special events liquor license.

Transfers of ownership, renewals, registration of managers, changes in corporate structure, granting of temporary permits, and changes in trade or corporate name may be renewed and approved by the Town Clerk without a public hearing or appearance before the Town Council.

New liquor licenses and special events liquor licenses will require a public hearing before the Town Council. 


For questions or concerns, please contact Town Clerk, Tiffany O'Connell at


Are there fees involved for a liquor license?

All fees (both to the Town of Mt. CB and to the Department of Revenue), all applications, and pertinent documentation related to obtaining a liquor license or renewal of an existing license must be returned to the Town Clerk, who will forward your application and applicable fees to the Department of Revenue after local approval of your license.

Liquor License Renewals

You will receive your liquor license renewal form from the State of Colorado about 60 to 90 days prior to your expiration date. You must complete the form and send it to the Mt. Crested Butte Town Clerk. DO NOT send it back to the state of Colorado.

You will need to include a check for your liquor license renewal to the State of Colorado/ Colorado Department of Revenue, including any fees for optional premises, and a check to the Town of Mt. Crested Butte for $50 which must be submitted no less than 30 days prior to the expiration of your liquor license. 

You can mail this to:
Town of Mt. Crested Butte
Attn: Tiffany O'Connell
PO Box 5800
Crested Butte, CO 81225

The Town Clerk will also inspect your property prior to issuing a new liquor license. If you did not receive the form from the state, it is your responsibility to go online and print a blank one.

How Do I Apply For An Event In Mt. CB?

The first thing you must do is complete the Special Events Use Permit Application. This is a detailed application that will require some time and coordination with other entities within the town of Mt. Crested Butte. Once your Special Use Permit is complete, if you are planning on serving alcohol at your event, you will be required to also fill out the Special Event Liquor Permit. This application must be submitted to the Town no less than 30 days prior to the event. Failure to submit an application in a timely manner could result in your application being denied.  The only entities that can apply for a Special Event Liquor permit are non-profits, political entities, or the event is sponsored or working in partnership with either type of affiliation.

If you have additional questions regarding event applications, please contact our Event Coordinator, Rebecca Schroeppel at